My research interest spans the following areas.
- Modularity, modular reasoning
- Programming languages, Software Engineering, and Compilers
- Data science, especially Software Engineering of Data Science software.
- Concurrency, especially modular reasoning about concurrency
correctness and performance. Scalable support for modular verification
of concurrency properties in compilers.
- Advanced separation of concerns mechanisms such as events, reactive
signals, and aspects and modular reasoning about such mechanisms.
I direct the Laboratory for Software Design
in the Department of Computer Science.
Our main projects are
Boa that is investigating shared infrastructures
for data driven science, and Panini that is investigating
programming abstractions for concurrency that also enable modular reasoning about concurrency
properties. This year we have also organized the Inaugural
Midwest Big Data Summer School.
Select Recent Publications
- Ganesha Upadhyaya and Hridesh Rajan,
Accelerating Ultra-Large-Scale Mining,"
ICSE'17: The 39th International Conference on Software Engineering: NIER Track,
Buenos Aires, Argentina, May 2017.
- Yuheng Long, Yu David Liu, and Hridesh Rajan,
First-Class Effect Reflection for Effect-Guided Programming,"
OOPSLA'16: The ACM SIGPLAN conference on Systems, Programming,
Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity (SPLASH),
Amsterdam, the Netherlands, October 2016.
For more details including publications,
and current students
please visit my lab's web-pages.
My research has been supported in part by the following grants.
Major Awards and Honors
Former Graduate Students
- Mehdi Bagherzadeh (PhD Summer'16, MS Fall'10), Assistant Professor at Oakland University
- Yuheng Long (PhD Spring'16, MS Spring'10), Google
- Robert Dyer (PhD Fall'13, MS Fall'08), Assistant Professor at Bowling Green State University
- Tyler Sondag (PhD Fall'11, MS Fall'09), Intel R&D
- Sean L. Mooney (MS Summer'15), SourceAllies
- Harish Narayanappa (MS Spring'10), eBay
- Youssef W. Hanna (MS Fall'08), Google
- Rakesh Setty (MS Fall'08), eBay
- Mahantesh Hosamani (MS Fall'07), Ericsson